Thursday, April 29, 2010
Five Best Plants to Attract Wildlife
Never thought of your garden as a wildlife preserve? Well, it may be time. The statistics about human impact on nature are grim. Consider a few: America grows by 8640 people per day, and we sprawl across an additional two million acres per year (the size of Yellowstone Park). The total paved surface of the country is the size of Missouri, and our non-paved surfaces are mostly lawn and sterile plantings. What's left of our woodlots and forests are invaded with 3400 species of alien plants like bittersweet, honeysuckle and privet that have consumed 100 million acres of land (the size of Texas). In the lower 48 states, humans have converted 54% of the total land into cities and suburbs, and 41% into various forms of agriculture. That's an astounding 95% of total land dedicated to man-made use.*
Nature no longer happens somewhere else. Gardeners represent the last best chance to reclaim some of our lost biodiversity. Our local animals need native plants--preferably lots of them in contiguous and connected areas--to survive and reproduce. While I love many Asian or European ornamentals, they support only a tiny fraction of the wildlife that natives do. For example, a Kousa dogwood (Cornus kousa) supports no insect herbivores while our native flowering dogwood (Cornus florida) supports 117 different species of moths and butterflies.
So what should you plant? Turns out, not all native species are equal. Some plants sustain much more diversity than others. University of Delaware professor Douglas Tallamy has studied eastern native plants and documented the different species they host. Check out this list of five SUPERPLANTS that support wildlife.
1. Oak Trees (Quercus)
2. Goldenrods (Solidago)
3. Black Cherry (Prunus serotina) image from mobot.org
Asters are second only to Goldenrods in terms of the number of moths and butterflies they support (112 different species!). American asters are among the most colorful and showy of all native perennials. Don't even bother with Asian varieties; the American natives are every bit as intense, drought tolerant, and easy to grow. Plus, we are spoiled for choice. The New England Aster (Aster novae angliae) are great for massing, the Wood Asters (Aster divaricatus & cordifolius) are good in the shade, and Smooth Aster (Aster laevis) are great for interplanting among grasses. My personal favorite are the Aromatic Asters (Aster oblongifolius) like 'October Skies' (pictured) and 'Raydon's Favorite.' Compact (18-24"), vigorous, and an explosion of mid-autumn color.
Bluestem Nursery is the authority on the many different uses and varieties of willows. Consider a willow for its steely blue leaf color, or for its outstanding stem color that rivals Red Stem Dogwoods. Bluestem Nursery has catalogued just a few of the many uses for these plants. They're incredibly fast growing, too. If you want an instant hedgerow, or a living fence (see picture) this is your plant.
(Statistics from Bringing Nature Home: How Native Plants Sustain Wildlife in Our Gardens by Douglas W. Tallamy.)